Secretary of Natural Resources Office

Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently asked questions regarding the Cherokee Nation tribal-state hunting and fishing compact.

Frequently Asked Questions

Why did the Cherokee Nation and the State of Oklahoma enter into a wildlife compact?

The compact is an agreement between the Cherokee Nation and the State of Oklahoma, as sovereign governments, to provide the proper management and conservation of a shared wildlife resource. The new compact creates a joint system that allows Cherokees to hunt and fish in all 77 counties of the state with just one license.

When does the compact go into effect?

The effective date of the compact is January 1, 2016. The Compact is anticipated to last through December 31, 2018 and may be renewed for additional years.

Where can I use my compact license?

A compact license can be used throughout the State of Oklahoma and the Cherokee Nation. You will need to get permission before hunting and fishing on private property, and need to be aware and follow all hunting and fishing rules and laws.

How long is my compact license valid?

Each compact license will be valid for the calendar year in which it is issued. You will receive a new license at the beginning of each year.

How much will this cost the Cherokee Nation?

The Cherokee Nation will pay the State of Oklahoma two dollars for every license issued, which makes the minimum yearly payment under the compact $300,000. These dollars go directly to the Oklahoma Department of Wildlife Conservation and will be used to conserve and protect wildlife habitat throughout the state. This will also enable the state to access additional federal funds for protecting habitats. There are also other costs that go along with starting and running this program that the Nation will have to pay, including salaries for additional tribal employees, printing costs, postage, etc. No budget has been approved by the Tribal Council at this time.

Do I have to be an Oklahoma resident to get a compact license?

Yes. A Cherokee Nation citizen who is a resident of the State of Oklahoma and 16 years old or older may receive a compact license if he or she is otherwise eligible to hold a license.

Does the compact limit tribal hunting to only one deer and one turkey a year?

No. Compact license holders may purchase additional licenses, products, and tags, such as additional deer or turkey tags. The compact permits each compact license holder one free deer and one free turkey tag every year.