Tribal Registration

Cherokee Nation Attn: Tribal Registration P.O. Box 948 Tahlequah, OK 74465

Frequently Asked Questions

Questions frequently posed to the Cherokee Nation Registration Office:

Frequently Asked Questions

Do Indian Health Service or tribal hospitals register new births with the Registration office?

It is the parent's responsibility to apply for their children's CDIBs and Citizenship cards once they receive their birth certificate. We strongly recommend you do this at the time of birth.

Can I get a CDIB card through Cherokee Nation for another tribe?

You cannot apply for a CDIB card for another tribe through the Cherokee Nation.

How long does the process take for new applications for Cherokee Nation citizenship?

Processing time varies.

How long does it take to get replacement cards processed?

10 to 15 days.

How long does it take to process an amendment to a CDIB?

Processing time varies.

How can I get a Cherokee Nation photo ID card?

You may visit the main Tribal Registration office in Tahlequah Monday through Friday during regular business hours. Please bring your paper blue card and CDIB with you, along with another form of photo ID. Children under 18 without a photo ID can receive a CN Photo ID with parental consent. You can also receive a photo ID from Registration during some community and at-large events if staff is available. Please check with your local Tribal Council member or at-large community group leadership for upcoming events.

Can I just send you a photo and signature in the mail and have you make a photo ID for me?

You must have your photo taken in person using the system that creates the ID cards. We regret that we are unable to process CN Photo ID cards by mail.