Moving the Cherokee Capital
(from the Muskogee Phoenix, October 27, 1894)
"The project of moving the Cherokee capital from Tahlequah to Fort Gibson is likely to be brought before the coming session of council. Economy and convenience are both on the side on the argument for moving. The greatest hardships would be to those who have investments largely in Tahlequah, where their support is mainly drawn from having the capital located there."
As a side note, after the United States Government abandoned Fort Gibson, the ownership reverted to the Cherokee Nation. A town grew up, now called Fort Gibson after the military fort near it, but was originally called the township of Keetowah. The Cherokee National Cemetery is located in Fort Gibson."
Info provided by the Cherokee Nation Cultural Resource Center. For information regarding culture and language, please contact: