Taken from a manuscript prepared by J.P. Evans in 1835. Townhouses eventually became the Council House, paving the way for today's officials and government, including the Principal Chief, Deputy Chief, the Cherokee Nation Tribal Council and our tribal courts.
"Every town has a house, or particular spot of ground, appropriated to dancing, holding council, and of late, courts. This public house, generally called Town House, is built in a circular form, with perpendicular walls six or eight feet high; from thence it ends at a point, giving the roof a conical form, which is supported by interior posts.
From the floor to the highest point of the roof is fifteen to twenty feet. Puncheons are laid around on the inside to serve as seats. The house is covered with the bark of forest trees, confined on with the bark of hickory shrubs, the hickories themselves, or white oak shreds. A doorway is left in building the house, and on the outside a small shed or portico is made; and in front of this is a level yard laid off in a square, and made smooth for the purpose of dancing, on particular occasions."